Welcome to the
Wanakena General Store
We are your source for groceries, goods and gifts
whether you are a year-round or seasonal resident,
a visitor or just stopping by before
heading into the Five Ponds Wilderness Area.
And when you're not in Wanakena,
you can access many of those items
right here from our website!
In Store Products
- Beverages - Milk, Juice, Soda, Water and Hot Coffee/Tea/Hot Chocolate from our Kuerig Brewer
- Candy & Snacks - Candy Bars, Gum, Theatre Box Candies, Nuts, Chips, Jerky, Trail Mix
- Beer & Wine Coolers - Labatt's, Coors, Budweiser, Miller, Corona, Sam Adams, Guiness, Heiniken, Saranac, Lake Placid
- Groceries - Fresh Produce, Eggs, Cheese, Cereal, Pasta, Canned Goods, Cookies, Pancake Mix, Syrup, Sausage, Lunch Meat, Bacon
- Specialty Foods - Specialty Cheeses & Cheese Spreads, Cheese Curds, Ravioli, Venison & Buffalo Sausage
- Dry Goods & Cleaning Supplies - Paper Towels, Toilet Paper, Paper Plates, Dish Soap, Laundry Detergent, and more.
- Books & Maps - Local History, Adirondack Themes, Field Guides, Journals, Kids Books, Cookbooks, Paddling & Trail Maps, Topo Maps
- Camping Gear - Headnets, Matches & Firestarters, Compasses, Headlamps, Bug Repellant and the Item You Left Behind
- Fishing & Hunting Supplies - Extensive Fly Fishing Fly Collection, Lures & Artificial Bait, Hooks, Rod/Reels, Knives, Gun Cleaning Kits, Deer Lures
- Gifts - Balsam Pillows, Puzzles, Scented Candles, Nature-themed Earrings, Incense
- Souvenirs - T-shirts & Sweatshirts, Hats, Greeting Cards, Mugs
2015 Summer Arts Series Events
(All events take place in Wanakena unless otherwise noted)
An exciting new band from Canton with a sound that's been labeled "Outlaw Jam Rock with a dash of good old America." Whatever it is, you will want to be there to start "the Fourth."
Sunday, July 12 at 4:00 PM - Northern Lights Orchestra
This local orchestra will be in its fourth year this summer. If you've heard them before, you'll surely come. The main difference is the music: classical, folk, popular, film music, and more.
This trio has performed several times here, most recently in 2012. People ask about them, so it's now time for blues, folk, jazz and popular music in Too Human's own unmistakable style.
Some of you may remember The Talking Heads and particularly David Byrne (70's - 80's). A good way to refresh or discover them now is through Jonathan Demme's documentary Stop Making Sense. An even more exciting way to enjoy their music is to be there for Start Making Sense with all its energy and excitement.
Friday, July 31 at 7:00 PM - Love's Labours Lost
Since 2010, we have hosted Shakespeare plays produced and directed by the Adirondack Lakes Center of the Arts in Blue Mountain Lake. This time it's one of his early comedies.
Morning Sun & The Essentials is a reggae band with deep roots from Jamaica as well as a wide range of other traditions and contemporary culture. This will be a very exciting evening.
Thursday, August 13 at 7:00 PM, P. A. Miranda Auditorium, Clifton-Fine Central School, Star Lake, NY - Urinetown
Adirondack Lakes Center for the Arts has also brought musical theater to our community since 2010. This year it's a very funny comedy that will have viewers of all ages laughing.
Sunday, August 23 at 7:00 PM at Clifton-Fine Central School, Star Lake - Lipbone Redding
Lots of people have asked to have Lipbone again, and this is a perfect moment. This will be the first day day and night of the long-awaited Cycle Adirondacks sponsored by the Wildlife Conservatin Society. 600 cyclers are expected and will be camping their first night on the school grounds in Star Lake. Everyone in town is invited to join with all these visitors and enjoy Lipbone Redding together.
* These concerts are made possible with funds from the Decentralization Program, a regranting program of the NYS Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Adnrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature and administred by the St. Lawrence County Arts Council. These performances are also made possible by a grant from the Norhtern New York Commuinty Foundation.